Preventive dentistry plays a critical part in keeping your mouth, and subsequently the rest of your body, healthy. Maintenance is much easier and less expensive than treatment, which is why Pure Health Dental strongly encourages everyone to participate in Seven Hills, Ohio preventive dentistry. Continue reading to learn the basics about preventive dentistry, including its benefits, your role, insurance coverage, and so much more.
What is Preventive Dentistry?
Essentially, preventive dentistry is dental care that helps maintain good oral health and hygiene. It combines regular Seven Hills, Ohio dental checkups with good personal habits such as brushing and flossing your teeth. Oral health maintenance begins at a young age and continues throughout the course of your life, so developing good habits as a child is crucial.
What Do Preventive Services Include?
At our Seven Hills, Ohio dental office, Pure Health Dental, you will be able to take advantage of some common preventive dentistry services. These include:
- Regular checkups and teeth cleaning, approximately every 6 months
- Routine X-rays
Depending on the type of insurance you have, preventive care may be fully or partially covered, so check with your insurance agent to find out more.
What Are the Benefits of Preventive Dentistry?
Regular Ohio dental exams and cleaning have been proven to offer many benefits for your oral and overall health. These benefits include:
- Lower risk for tooth decay, gum disease, gingivitis, and more.
- Helps establish strong dental habits, including consistent brushing and flossing.
- Early identification of dental problems before they become large.
- Your dentist can do a full exam of your mouth, jaw, neck, and lymph nodes to identify any possible related problems.
- Helps reduce some dental problems related to chronic conditions such as diabetes, osteoporosis, cancer, or eating disorders. Oral health plays a key role in your health as a whole.
What is Your Role?
Only a small part of preventive dentistry is actually the responsibility of your Seven Hills, Ohio dentist. Most of it really starts with you developing strong dental habits and maintaining them over time. Doing so can help prevent gum disease, gingivitis, tooth rot, and cavities. The basics of good oral health habits include:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss at least once daily to ensure no food stays stuck between your teeth and turns to plaque.
- Use mouthwash after flossing to flush out particles.
- Avoid acidic foods that can be harsh on your tooth enamel.
- Chew gently when eating hard foods such as hard candy, seeds, nuts, food with bones, and others.
- Avoid smoking and tobacco products, as these cause yellow teeth, decay, cancer, and other oral diseases.
- Use a mouth guard if you are participating in contact sports.
- Use a nighttime mouthguard to prevent grinding your teeth while sleeping.
Who Offers Preventive Care?
Unbeknownst to many people, there are actually quite a few types of dentists and dental specialties. Not all of them provide preventive dental care, but here are a few that do:
- General Dentist – A Seven Hills, Ohio general dentist is also known as a family dentist. They are your go-to for teeth cleanings, regular checkups, and X-rays. Additionally, they will do fillings, tooth pulling, and other basic dental care. Your Seven Hills, Ohio dentist plays a key role in encouraging and teaching you to establish healthy dental habits. They can easily identify any potential problems that could escalate, and can refer you to a different dental specialist as needed for things like wisdom tooth removal or root canals.
- Pediatric Dentist – Pediatric Dentists specialize in dental care for children. It is advised for children to begin receiving Seven Hills, Ohio dental care as soon as their first tooth pops through, and they can continue being seen by that same dentist all through their growing years until they turn 18. A pediatric dentist in Seven Hills will often provide extra specialized services as well.
What is Preventive Dentistry for Children?
As mentioned, as soon as a child’s first tooth pops through the gum, preventive dental care begins, both at home and in the office. Seeing a pediatric dentist right away in the early years can help with identifying and preventing dental problems that could become extremely costly or uncomfortable. Pediatric dentistry includes the following:
- Encouraging strong oral care habits, including brushing/flossing, direction with thumb sucking and sippy cups, and advice about eating habits.
- Routing teeth cleanings, exams, and X-rays as needed.
- Fluoride application to ensure healthy teeth.
- Sealant application
- Fitting athletic mouth guards
- Referrals to orthodontists if correction is needed
- Referrals to other dental specialists as needed
- Identifying potential issues that would impact dental health
Does Insurance Cover Preventive Dentistry?
Because preventive & Seven Hills routine dentistry plays a key part in your overall health, many insurance plans cover it, whether partially or fully. When you choose a dental insurance plan, be sure to look for information specifically regarding preventive dentistry so that you know what is covered, what your limits are, and what is required for various services.
- Teeth Cleanings – Most insurance plans only cover 2 teeth cleanings a year.
- Fluoride Application – This is only considered preventive for kids up to a certain age. Be sure you know the limits so you don’t end up paying out of pocket unintentionally.
- X-rays – Only certain types of X-rays are considered routine or preventive, and that number is usually limited, so be aware of the limits and requirements for your specific plan.
What About Fillings?
Fillings are not actually considered preventive, so they are included in preventive dentistry. They are part of the “basic restorative” services, along with extractions, root canals, wisdom tooth removal, and other things. Check with your insurance to see what is required before having a filling done. Some companies require you to pay toward a deductible, coinsurance, or a copay, but it completely depends on your specific insurance plan.
How Much Does Preventive Dentistry Cost?
Again, the cost of your routine checkups and maintenance are entirely dependent on your specific dental insurance plan, but preventive dentistry and Seven Hills routine dentistry could be covered up to 100%. This includes your basics of oral exams, teeth cleanings, and routine X-rays. Remember that there are limits for how many of each of these services you can receive in one year, and if you go over the limit, you will have to pay out of pocket. It is important to understand the details of your dental coverage.
At Pure Health Dental, our knowledgeable team of qualified dentists treats every patient with priority, and takes a holistic approach to their oral health and wellbeing. We know that dental care plays a critical part in whole body health, so we encourage healthy habits and specialize in a wide variety of dental services. As a five-star Seven Hills, Ohio dental clinic, Pure Health Dental accepts most insurance plans, and even offers an option for those without coverage so they can still receive high-quality dental care. Call one of our locations today to schedule your initial dental exam!
Pure Health Dental
16775 Chillicothe Rd
Chagrin Falls, OH 44023
Phone: (440) 543-3688
231 S. Sandusky Ave.
Bucyrus, OH 44820
Phone: (419) 562-0981
1520 Portage Trail
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223
Phone: (330) 923-5252
12575 Rockside Road
Garfield Heights, OH 44125
Phone: (216) 663-2515
7819 Broadview Rd.
Seven Hills, Ohio 44131
Phone: (216) 520-1242
16481 Broadway Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44137
Phone: (216) 662-4224